Maldives Civil Service Statistics-January 2011

25/8/2011

STATISTICAL BULLETIN

January 2011

Maldives Civil Service Statistics

Data Extracted: 31 December 2010

The total number of permanent Maldivian civil servants stood at 21,837 on 31 December 2010 when compared to the 24,072 civil servants in 2009. This represents an overall decrease of 9.28 per cent or 2,233 employees.

Table 1: Number of Civil Servants from 2006 to 2010

2006 2007 2008 2009 2010
Male 19,793 20,840 11,421 11,444 10,460
Female 12,889 14,364 12,572 12,628 11,379
Total 32,682 35,204 23,993 24,072 21,837

Note: Does not include temporary, contracted and expatriates

Figures before 2008 includes all state paid employees including government companies & uniform services

Around 91 per cent of employees worked full-time, with the remaining 9 per cent working as temporary or contracted employees. Over half (51 per cent) of all employees were women. On 31 December 2010, the total count of expatriate working at civil service positions stands at 2,131 out of which 60 per cent are males and the remaining 40 per cent are females.

By Gender

At 31 December 2010, 52 per cent of permanent local civil servants were women. This per cent is unchanged from August 2010. When analyzed by responsibility level by gender, females are in the minority in senior management posts and lower level positions except for SS3 level. However, the occupancy of female employees is more than 50 per cent from MS2 level to GS1 level which is categorized as mid-management level.

Table 2: Number of Civil Servants by Rank – 2010

RANK SS1 SS2 SS3 SS4 GS1 GS2 GS3 GS4 MS1 MS2 MS3 MS4 EX1 EX2 EX3 EX4 EX5 EX6 ZV7 TOTAL
MALE 2173 1671 221 22 255 495 2037 550 907 1149 604 136 112 22 35 14 38 11 11 10463
FEMALE 1879 787 262 8 402 846 2233 1023 1899 1318 500 99 82 9 10 2 13 2 5 11379
TOTAL 4052 2458 483 30 657 1341 4270 1573 2806 2467 1104 235 194 31 45 16 51 13 16 21842


By Regional Distribution

At 31 December 2010, 43 per cent of civil servants are employed in Male’. The other 57 per cent are distributed in the remaining 20 atolls. The lowest number of civil servants in an atoll is 152 in Vaavu Atoll which amounts to less than 1 per cent of the total permanent local civil servants. Excluding the capital, the next highest numbers of civil servants are in Kaafu Atoll amounting to 1756 or 8 per cent of total permanent local civil servants.

By Age

At 31st December 2010, 67 per cent of the permanent local civil servants were aged between 29 and 39 years. Only 13 per cent were aged 50 years and over and 1 per cent under 20 years.

By Salary

The median pay (excluding bonus and allowances) for all local permanent civil servants fall at 6,620 Maldivian rufiyaa per month. More than 53 per cent of the employees earn less than 5000 MRF and only 0.16 per cent earns more than 15,000 MRF. The maximum number of males at the same level is 1,955 for which the salary range is 3,100 MRF when compared to the highest amount of employees of female amounting to 2,010 for which the salary is 4,465 MRF per month.

Table 3: Distribution of Civil Servants by Salary – 2010

Salary MRF Up to 4,999.00 5,000 to 9,999 10,000 to 14,999 Above 15,000
Male 6,210 4,065 162 27
Female 5,569 5,740 63 9
Total 11,779 9,805 225 36

By Line Ministries

At 31 December 2010, out of the total permanent local civil servants, 38 per cent worked in Ministry of Education of the Maldives. The second highest sector of employees is in Ministry of Health and Family which consists of 22 per cent of the overall permanent local civil servants. The lowest number of employees was in Maldives Media Council which was formed in the year 2010. The most significant gender discrepancy is noticed in the Ministry of Defence and National Security, where the male to female proportion is 90 per cent by 10 per cent respectively.

Table 4: Distribution of Civil Servants by Line Ministry & Responsible Office, 2010

LINE MINISTRY MALE FEMALE TOTAL PER CENT
ATTORNEY GENERAL GE OFFICE 15 47 62 0.28%
MALDIVES MEDIA COUNCIL 5 7 12 0.05%
MINISTRY OF DEFENCE AND NATIONAL SECURITY 333 36 369 1.69%
MINISTRY OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT 26 39 65 0.30%
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION 2,969 5,313 8,282 37.92%
MINISTRY OF FINANCE AND TREASURY 617 319 936 4.29%
MINISTRY OF FISHERIES AND AGRICULTURE 105 75 180 0.82%
MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS 54 64 118 0.54%
MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND FAMILY 1,666 3,173 4,839 22.15%
MINISTRY OF HOME AFFAIRS 2,469 1,270 3,739 17.12%
MINISTRY OF HOUSING AND ENVIRONMENT 255 171 426 1.95%
MINISTRY OF HUMAN RESOURCES, YOUTH AND SPORTS 169 172 341 1.56%
MINISTRY OF ISLAMIC AFFAIRS 1,077 353 1,430 6.55%
MINISTRY OF TOURISM, ARTS AND CULTURE 93 160 253 1.16%
MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT AND COMMUNICATION 609 182 791 3.62%
TOTAL 10,462 11,381 21,843 100.00%

Entry, Termination, Non-Civiled, Retirement and Redundancy

New employment of locals into civil service for the year 2010 amounts to 1,234. Termination of locals for the year amounts to 2,182 and 1,368 local employees were made non-civil during the year.

At 31 December 2010, the retirement figure of the local civil servants stands at 370 and the redundancy figure is 505.

Training Programs

A total of 48 training programs were conducted throughout the country in the year 2010 by the Civil Service Training Institute. Number of participants for these 48 programs amounted to 1,998, out of which 1,043 participants were from Male’ and the remaining 955 were from the atolls.

Performance Appraisal

The Civil Service Commission began implementing a new Performance Appraisal system on 1 Feb 2009 to appraise individual performance of civil servants.

In 2009, 93 per cent of forms have been filled and target setting of year 2010 has been conducted. Target setting of year 2011 and forms of 2010 will be filled during 23rd January 2011 to 10 February 2011 during the Performance Appraisal “Foavahi” which will soon be introduced.

Legal Cases

In the year 2010, 74 tribunal cases were received by Civil Service Commission of the Maldives, out of which 71 cases have been completed and 3 cases are ongoing. There are 14 civil court cases out of which only 2 have been completed and remaining 12 are yet ongoing. Also, 35 cases have been lodged in the High Court of the Maldives, none of these cases have been closed and only 4 cases are ongoing.

ADMINISTRATIVE DIVISIONS

Male’              Capital (including Villingilli and Hulhumale’)

HA                  Thiladhunmathi Uthuruburi

HDh                Thiladhunmathi Dhekunuburi

Sh                    Miladhunmadhulu Uthuruburi

N                     Miladhunmadhulu Dhekunuburi

R                     Maalhosmadhulu Uthuruburi

B                      Maalhosmadhulu Dhekunuburi

Lh                   Faadhippolhu

K                     Male’ Atoll

AA                  Ari Atoll Uthuruburi

ADh                Ari Atoll Dhekunuburi

V                     Felidhe Atoll

M                    Mulakatoll

F                      Nilandhe Atholhu Uthuruburi

Dh                   Nilandhe Atholhu Dhekunuburi

Th                   Kolhumadulu

L                      Haddhunmathi

GA                  Huvadhu Atholhu Uthuruburi

GDh                Huvadhu Atholhu Dhekunuburi

Gn                   Fuvammulah

S                      Addu Atoll

MINISTRIES/RESPONSIBLE OFFICES OF THE MALDIVES

PO                  President’s Office

MDNS            Ministry of Defence and National Security

MFA               Ministry of Foreign Affairs

MFaA             Ministry of Fisheries and Agriculture

MTC               Ministry of Transport and Communication

MHA              Ministry of Home Affairs

MoFT             Ministry of Finance and Treasury

MOE               Ministry of Education

MED               Ministry of Economic Development

MTAC            Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture

MHE               Ministry of Housing and Environment

MHRYS          Ministry of Human Resources, Youth and Sports

MIA                Ministry of Islamic Affairs

MOHF            Ministry of Health and Family

AG                  Attorney General’s Office

CSC                 Civil Service Commission

MMC              Maldives Media Council

Download attachments

STATISTICAL BULLETIN-January 2011-CSC