Maldives Civil Service Statistics-June 2011

25/8/2011

Maldives Civil Service Statistics

June 2011

 


Data Extracted: 30 June 2011

 

The total number of permanent Maldivian civil servants stood at 16,914 on 30 April 2011 when compared to the 21,837 civil servants at the end of 2010. This represents a decrease of 4,504 employees.

 

Table 1: Number of Civil Servants from 2006 to June 2011

2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 June 2011
Male 19,793 20,840 11,421 11,444 10,460 8,083
Female 12,889 14,364 12,572 12,628 11,379 8,821
Total 32,682 35,204 23,993 24,072 21,839 16,914

 

Note: Does not include temporary, contracted and expatriates

Figures before 2008 includes all state paid employees including government companies & uniform services

 

Total number of Maldivian civil servants including permanent, temporary and contract employees stands at 17,333 as on 30 June 2011. Around 97.5 per cent of employees worked full-time, with the remaining 2.42 per cent working as temporary or contracted employees. Over half (52 per cent) of all employees were women. On 30 June 2011, the total count of expatriate working at civil service positions stands at 3,349 out of which 64 per cent are males and the remaining 36 per cent are females. 81 per cent of these expatriate civil servants work in the atolls with only 19 per cent working in the capital.

 

Table 2: Job Occupancy State June 2011

Job Occupying State Male Female Total
Permanent 8,093 8,821 16,914
Contracted 137 228 365
Temporary 13 19 32
Retired and Contracted 17 5 22
Expatriate 2,158 1,191 3,349
Total 10,418 10,264 20,682

By Gender

At 30 June 2011, 52 per cent of permanent local civil servants were women. This per cent is unchanged from August 2010. When analyzed by responsibility level by gender, women are in the minority in senior management posts except in the newly introduced AGL level which consists of lawyers of the state. The occupancy of female employees is more than 50 per cent from MS2 level to GS1 level which is categorized as mid-management level.

 

By Regional Distribution

At 30 June 2011, 34 per cent of the permanent local civil servants are employed in Male’. The other 66 per cent are distributed in the remaining 20 atolls. The lowest number of civil servants in an atoll is 160 in Vaavu Atoll which amounts to less than 1 per cent of the total permanent local civil servants. Excluding the capital, the next highest numbers of civil servants are in Kaafu Atoll amounting to 1447 or 9 per cent of total permanent local civil servants.

 


By Age

 

At 30 June 2011, 65 per cent of the permanent local civil servants were aged below 40 years. The remaining 35 per cent is above 40 years with only 3 per cent above the age of 60 years.

 

Even though numbers of women … READ MORE justin-bieber-news.info is getting himself into trouble again. are in the majority in civil service, starting from the age 40 the per cent of women are less than 50 per cent when compared to males and with the increase in age the casino per cent of women falls gradually.

 

By Salary

The average salary of a civil servant stands at 7,035 per month. More than 56 per cent of the employees earn less than 5000 MRF and only 0.09 per cent earns more than 15,000 MRF. It is note worthy that 99 per cent of the whole civil service salary is less than 10,000 MRF per month.

 

Table 3: Distribution of Civil Servants by Salary – June 2011

Salary (MRF) Up to 4,999 5,000 to 9,999 10,000 to 14,999 Above 15,000
Male 4,987 3016 70 20
Female 4512 4286 16 7
Total 9499 7302 86 27

 

By Line Ministries

 

At 30 June 2011, out of the total permanent local civil servants, 45 per cent worked in Ministry of Education of the Maldives. Amongst the Ministries the second highest sector of employees till 2010 was Ministry of Health and Family which consists of 22 per cent of the overall civil servants, however with the formation of Health Corporation’s the number of employees reduced drastically and the current per cent of employees of Ministry of Health & Family amounts to 10 per cent. The lowest number of employees still remains as Maldives Media Council which was formed in the year 2010. The newly formed Atoll and Island Council now hold the second largest sector of employees which amounts to 25 per cent of the total civil servants.

 

Table 4: Civil Servants by Line Ministry & Responsible Office, April 2011

 

LINE MINISTRY MALE FEMALE TOTAL PER CENT
ATTORNEY GENERAL GE OFFICE 15 45 60 0%
MALDIVES MEDIA COUNCIL 5 7 12 0%
MINISTRY OF DEFENCE AND NATIONAL SECURITY 226 33 259 2%
MINISTRY OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT 19 26 45 0%
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION 2,703 4,909 7,612 45%
MINISTRY OF FINANCE AND TREASURY 87 144 231 1%
MINISTRY OF FISHERIES AND AGRICULTURE 87 58 145 1%
MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS 49 57 106 1%
MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND FAMILY 623 1,106 1,729 10%
MINISTRY OF HOME AFFAIRS 695 297 992 6%
MINISTRY OF HOUSING AND ENVIRONMENT 208 144 352 2%
MINISTRY OF HUMAN RESOURCES, YOUTH AND SPORTS 140 134 274 2%
MINISTRY OF ISLAMIC AFFAIRS 107 84 191 1%
MINISTRY OF TOURISM, ARTS AND CULTURE 73 128 201 1%
MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT AND COMMUNICATION 412 148 560 3%
COUNCILS 2,644 1,501 4,145 25%
TOTAL 8,093 8,821 16,914 100%

 

 

Entry, Termination, Non-Civiled, Retirement and Redundancy

New employment of locals into civil service from the beginning of January 2011 to the end of June 2011 amounts to 2,152. For the same period the terminations amounts to 2,338 and 3,398 employees were made non-civil. The retirement figure stands at 410 and the redundancy figure is 143 till the end of June 2011.

Download attachments

Maldives Civil Service Statistics-June 2011